Thursday, February 14, 2013

What to burn on?

I have had this question pop up quite often lately.  You can burn a design onto many different materials.  I've watched videos where Artists are burning on wood, leather, gourds and even paper.  I have tried all of these except gourds.  If I get my hand on one I will probably do that too.

My preference is wood.  But not all wood types.  Lately, I find myself using poplar or birch plywood.  I love the even surface of both.  I use birch when I don't want the grain to compete with my design.  The grains are nice, put are not pronounced.  Poplar plywood can sometimes have a rich dark swirl or pattern plays nicely with a nature scene - especially water areas.  The downfall is that I end up making my own frames.  At first this was a painful process.  I was no good at it.  Now, I have create a process that is working - not that I like making frames still - but there are pretty nice.  In fact, a local antique dealer ask me to make some for her.  She had a large volume of prints and pieces she wanted frames for.  This was last summer when I was still trying to get a process knocked out and I respectfully declined.  Now I kick myself,  the extra practice would have been good, and the money wouldn't hurt either.  Another 'Live and Learn' moment.

Basswood is okay.  It doesn't need framing and the rounds and plaques are usually easy to get your hand on, but I find them overpriced.  I have also learned you need to examine the piece carefully for issues like dents and dark pitting.  These usually need a sanding as well - although I fine sand all my pieces before I burn them. 

I haven't had much luck with leather - but that doesn't mean much.  I have not gotten some good leather to work on yet.  The smell of burning leather was not something I liked much so I haven't put myself out there yet.  I am looking for some used purses, belt or clothing next I go to the second hand store though.

Paper is tricky.  I have done some research and have found that smooth paper with a high cotton fiber content is suppose to work best.  My first attempt was on some cheap water color paper.  I found my heat setting had to be turned up higher than I usually use to get the paper to color.  I had difficulty getting a variety of shades on this paper, and Actually burn through before getting the darkness I was hoping for.  A better grade of paper is in order so I just got a pad of 100% cotton, 140 Lb, cold pressed, fine grain, water color paper.  Twelve sheet cost me $18.95 plus tax.  After I finish the porcupine I am currently working on, I will be opening this pad of paper and trying it out.

Any suggestions as to what I should make?  Any advise for working with paper?  Send them my way.

- Take Care -

No comments:

Post a Comment