Wednesday, February 13, 2013

First Place

Last night was a super evening.  My husband and I went to the opening of the Juried Art Show.  I knew our pieces had made it into the show and that one of my pieces won a prize, but I didn't expect this.

You see, this was my first show - ever.  I didn't really understand what a Juried show was.  When we took some work down I thought it was the show where the public write comments and vote for their favorite.  Boy was I surprised to hear that a panel of art professionals would be scrutinizing my work.

To say I was nervous is putting it mildly, I don't do crowds well - I get very anxious and at times have panic attacks.  Last night I work a thin cotton blouse and tried hard to keep to the fringes.  Still, my armpits were soaked and the Award ceremony hadn't even started yet. 

The master of ceremonies happened to be my Art Teacher from high school.  My work back then was sub-par - I actually painted a pacman for my mural.  I didn't have much self worth back then.  He actually express his disappointment and told me I was better than that.  So, here I was, getting another chance to show my stuff.  Funny thing was, he didn't remember me at all.

My husband and I stood at the back and applauded the runners up winners in the various categories.  Then we clapped for the first place winner.  As the last category was call I started to think that there was a mistake.  The second place winners came forward and received their certificate and smiled for the camera.  As the first place winners were called more information and details were given regarding their piece.  Finally, the drawing category was explained to incorporate any method of leaving a mark on it's medium, such as wood burning.  MY name was called.  The people parted, patted my back, offered congratulations and such as I move forward to get my award.

First place - What?! Wow!!! - and my old art teacher said, "You did a great job!  Very well done."
WOOT WOOT WOOT

I am blown away.  When I made it back to my husband he was grinning ear to ear as he hugged me.  I leaned in close and whispered, "You know there will be no living with me now."

His guffaw was priceless.

Like I said - Super Evening.  I'll not forget it for sure.

- Take Care -

2 comments: