Friday, February 8, 2013

My New Work Station

     The temps are above zero - but we have a semi-opaque white wall of snow falling outside.  The flakes are small but they sure add up - close to six inches so far.  We knew it was coming.  The DVR has some good shows recorded, cheesecake and popcorn are waiting for later and I got to stay home today.

    I am glad to stay home today.  Yesterday was a day for running around.  I put my cabinet and some work in a shop to sell on consignment, helped out at my father-in-law's house, picked up supplies in case we got socked in and paid some bills. 


    
     Then, when I got home, I decided to finally set up a workstation in my house.  I miss my Art.  My shop is in an old garage that has been walled in.  It is well insulated, but there are no heat runs in it.  Keeping the door open allows it to stay above freezing, but even when I run the electric heater it is hard to work in there too long.  The cold seeps up through the concrete floor and into my bones. 

      I have put this off for a while now.  Burning in the house is not something I like to do.  My son and I have asthma and this winter has been rough on both of us.  I have a well ventilated area and am getting going.




     Currently, I am attempting to wood burn my first human subject.  I singled out my son in a photo of him and his cousins.  After rendering it grey scale and getting a rough outline of his image I traced the outline onto this scrap of birch plywood.  So far I have used a ball and blade tip on the piece.  I have a lot of shading and detailing to go.  The grey scale picture is a great guide for areas to darken and areas to let alone. 

     To the right is a photo of my Pyrography Machine.  It is a Razertip SS-D10 - 10 amp detail burning system.  I have two pens that I can change the tips on.  I keep those tips on a pink eraser to have them handy.  I prefer the pens with permanent tips as they work well at lower heat setting and they are more consistent.  The interchangeable tips are screwed onto the pen.  The connection loosens when they are heated.  The lead tend to bend, and great care is needed with them. 

     I am very pleased with the Razertip machine, as well as the company.  They are based in Canada.  My orders take a bit longer to get here but that is not that big a deal.  They replace broken pens for a small fee ($5.00 or so)  and even replaced on I tried to customized and ended up demolishing.  They stand by there no questions asked policy. 

     Pens from other brand machines are suppose to work with an adapter.  I haven't gotten any adapters or other pens to try this out yet though.  I am happy with what I have, I guess.  If the opportunity arises, I'll let you know how it works.  Anyone out there have any experience with inter-changing pens?

     What system do you use or have you used?  What have been your experiences?  Let me know.

- Take Care -
 

1 comment: