Monday, January 28, 2013

Signs, Signs and more Signs

     Snow, Snow, pretty, pretty Snow is falling here.  It has warmed up and this dusting makes the world appear clean and serene.
 
    
     What to talk about next.  Well, I slept on it last night and I thought I would like to share Sign making.  Print Shop is my favorite program for making a template for signs.  Currently, I am using Print Shop Deluxe 22, but have use many versions.  The program allows for larger sizing and has many fonts to choose from.  The grid you work on has a ruler that can be in inches or set up for the metric system. There are also many pictures in their library and more online to help you customize exactly what you want.  It is so simple to import a picture, if you already have one in mind.  The draw back to this program that I find is that is crashes often, especially when browsing fonts.  Saving often helps, but it can really be annoying.   
 
     First, I create a customized headline with the name.  The font I choose depends on whether I will be hand routing the sign, scroll cutting or wood burning.  Rounded letter fonts, like the ones on the left, work better for routing.  I use a dremel with the router attachment.  It is easy for me to control.  Fonts that have bold letters, squared or rounded are easy to cut on the scrollsaw, however they are time consuming.  Pyrography, writing with fire, can handle any font.
 
     Signs don't have to be just about words.  A picture can be scroll cut, or woodburned onto the sign.
 
     Any way you make it, your sign can be colorful.  Stains can be added in any of these wood processes before a final finish is applied to the sign.
 
     Before I had my business I could not fathom what I would want a sign for, but not all signs are for businesses.  I have made customs signs for camps, campers, House plaques and garages.  Custom signs make great gifts for 'that hard to buy for' loved one.  Ideas: Mancave, Gone Fishing, Guns,  Military (Marine, Army, Navy, Airforce, etc...), Grandma's Kitchen, Work Shop, Garage, Den, Crafter, Sewing, Book Nook, Laundry, Feelings (Live, Love, Laugh), Pet memorials, Sayings (Jesus lives Here), or just about anything that matters to you.
 
     If you would like a custom sign created for you I would be happy to do so.  You are not committed to purchase the sign until you've approved of the design, which will be emailed to you.
Contact me for design and pricing options.
 
     Do you make signs?  I would love to hear about them and see pictures. 
 
- Take Care -
 
 

 

1 comment: