Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Pyrography - Patterns

..imageA couple of years ago I stumbled upon this special issue: Pyrography.  A lot of my time was spent in waiting rooms and so I had plenty of time to read the magazine, cover to back page.  In fact, I have read the magazine multiples of times and refer back to it often. 

This was the first publication of Pyrography and Fox Chapel, publishers of amazing wood working magazines and books, promised it would not be the last. 

One of my favorite things about this magazine, as well as other wood working magazine, is that it is chocked full of patterns.  The Bird House Pattern and tutorial was fun to try.  Unfortunately, I chose a scrap piece of pine plyboard.  The pitch made it very difficult to get the detail right.  The glossy finish detracts from the piece as well. 

Live and Learn.


 Also in this issue was a pattern for an adorable pony bust by Orchid Davis.  She had two renditions of the pony head, one was highly shaded refining cheek, muscles and ridge lines.  The other was detailed but the face was less shaded and the same color as the background.  Both were lovely. 

My attempt does not compare, but I love it just the same.  I am particularly fond of the way the framing and shading compliment each other.


In 2012, Fox Chapel published a new issue of Pyrography.  It was chocked full of advise, patterns and features, just like the first issue.  Still, I found I was disappointed; it felt redundant.  To be fair, the first issue was packed so full of excellent tips, advise on wood burners and amazing works, that I was expecting more.  The magazine had amazing news for Pyrography Artist.  The Art Exhibit pushed this form of expression a long way toward becoming recognized as an Art form.  The work displayed was phenomenal.  The patterns were good, just not my cup of tea, so to speak.  Much of the advise was not news to me, though.  Thus my feelings of being let down.

Oops, I did not intend to critique this publication.  I hope I have not offended anyone.  A blog is an opinion place, so I guess that is mine.  I am looking forward to 2013's issue.

Have you read the magazines? What do you think?  I look forward to hearing what you have to say.

- Take Care -

 

No comments:

Post a Comment