Friday, January 25, 2013

Re-Purposing Wood pieces

     Another frigid day in Northern NY - The flu has come home with my son.  He sleeping on the couch, poor boy.

     In the warmer months I like to peruse sales of all kinds for wooden objects that I can get for next to nothing, and can be fixed up and given a new life.  Yesterday I showed you a telephone table that I refinished.  Today I am going to introduce a few pieces that were re-purposed.

     This Bluebell change bowl was found at a junk sale.  It was one of many wooden objects that I loaded into my box and donated $20.00 to walk away with.  I wish I had a before picture, but imagine a rounded, broken off handle shooting out of the top and a shallower spade shovel like shape for the bowl. 
     The wood is very soft and smells like incense.  I deepened the bowl and rounded off the sharp point.  This wreath of Bluebell compliments the finished piece.  A butcher block oil was rubbed into the wood to protect the wood and render it food safe.



     The Tulips and Butterfly add a feminine touch to this rustic mirror.  The wood was salvaged from an old water bed frame.  The mirror was one of many panels that decorated a wall.  Even the pine 2x4 that the flowers and butterfly were cut from once added support to a child's tree house.  The mirror is not the best for gazing at your reflection, but it add country charm.  If that doesn't suit you then perhaps you'd like a tray to hold a comb or perfume bottles on a dresser or vanity. 


This wooden utensil holder was once tongue and groove pine boards.  They were cut into an oval shape with a flat back.  One piece was set aside while the rest were stack cut to create the open center.  They were sanded, stained and then glued together.  A food safe finish was applied.  The idea for this was taken from a challenge Steve Good posted a while back for a mug.    My niece is in cooking school and I thought this pattern would make a nice utensil holder.  I have to make her another one, this one sold at a craft fair.


These adorable kittens were burned onto a cork memo board.  It can still be used as a memo board, but bare it is beautiful. 




     What do you re-purpose? 
- Take Care -


 

No comments:

Post a Comment